2012/7/16 J.A. de Vries <hdv.ja...@gmail.com>:
> On 2012-07-16 12:25, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>
>> I can not reproduce the problem, but I use another operating system
>> (Ubuntu 10.10) and an older LibreOffice (3.3.4), the LibreOffice
>> website version. Maybe this is a LibreOffice 3.5.4 problem? I would
>> try to install the most recent stable version, which seems to be 3.5.5
>> at the moment.
>>
>> If you can't make it work, an obvious workaround would be to use the
>> Auto correction feature in LibreOffice. I think ”Straße” is already in
>> the list if you set the character language style to German. If not,
>> you can easily add it yourself in whatever language you want.
>
> I thought of that, but that works if you only have a couple of words
> with non-standard characters. I write a lot in Swedish and German (among
> other languages), both languages with lots of those characters.

I see, so you need ßåäöÅÄÖüÜ and maybe more, and you use a US keyboard
or at least not a German or a Swedish one?
I don't use KDE myself and I have a Swedish keyboard (since I write
almost everything in Swedish – that explains my poor English…). I use
a lot special characters, except those Swedish ones, so I just created
my own keyboard layout (called Swedish – Johnny Rosenberg), so I can
easily type characters, such as ”… – — ℃ π ℗”, using the AltGr key
(”Right Alt key” on some keyboards), but I guess that's probably not
the easiest way out of this problem…

> So I'll
> probably loose more time building replacement lists than just making a
> row of the most occurring charters in vim and copying that to each
> document after opening it. From that row I copy the characters needed
> when writing. It is cumbersome, but as a temporary measure it is workable.
>
>> But really, it should work. I use Caps Lock for compose, just like
>> you, and it worked fine in LibreOffice Calc 3.3.4. I will install a
>> more recent version soon and try, I've just been lazy lately, or maybe
>> busy (I'm in the middle of my vacation right now)…

I installed 3.5.5 from the http://www.libreoffice.org/ web page and my
compose key works perfectly in both LibreOffice Writer and LibreOffice
Calc. Try to update and see what happens, maybe this is a 3.5.4 issue.
That's what I would do, anyway.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ