> group = smsc
> smsc = xxxx
> smsc-id = 200
> allowed-smsc-id = 200
>
> group = smsc
> smsc = xxxx
> smsc-id = 300
> allowed-smsc-id = 300;200

It should be "preferred-smsc-id", "allowed-smsc-id" is used for
sms-services.

> now, if I send a message with the SMSC set to 200, it could be sent on
> any of the three SMSCs, right ?
> how does it decide which SMSC to use ? round robin ? random ?

For MT messages, if you have smsc-ids set *and* a preferred/denied list
(smsc-ids are useless without them in the MT case), then Kannel will parse
those lists to determine if the smsc-id you supplied with the messages
matches that list. With preferred only set like this, yes it could go
through any of them because '200' is in every preferred list. The exact
details of the algorithm could be explained by someone more familiar with
the code (btw it would be nice to have a comprehensive description of this
is the user guide. I'd be willing to submit what I know to someone with cvs
commit rights)

Ian