(Disclaimer: I only know Gradle from outside. I never used it more than 2
minutes, but I read some things about and saw a prez at our JUG.)
Gradle has a very different approach: where Maven values sometimes not much
flexibility at first sight (to improve build genericity, as already said),
Gradle lets you change anything you want. The good thing is that Gradle
comes with some standard process if you want to go Maven-style (meaning the
standard fits your needs). But then you can plug whatever you want, the way
you want, anytime you want (using Groovy scripting code).

By the way, that last statement is the kind of things that makes Gradle
appear to Maven-fans as no-good. In fact, for the record, Maven 1 was using
a scripting language (Jelly), and being able to clutter your build file
with scripts is just a bad idea.

About Maven coordinates, yes Gradle can use them. I seem to remember
they're actually using Ivy as their dependency management tool.
By the way, you can disable transitive dependencies, etc.
http://gradle.org/docs/current/userguide/dependency_management.html#defineConfiguration

Cheers