Gradle allows to hack something much quicker. In Maven you would need to write
a plugin.

Otoh I've seen a Gradle project which went from great to barely maintainable in
almost under a year.
Just let a few juniors touch the build and you are doomed pretty quickly.
The approach of gradle is not new. Check buildr [1] which does almost the same
but in ruby instead of groovy. And I think it even predates gradle.
That was great too in the beginning, but after 3 years the projects were
insanely broken and we moved them back to maven again.

"With great power comes great responsibility" (Starwars? Kung-fu panda? not
sure anymore :)

LieGrue,
strub

[1] http://buildr.apache.org/