Jason will, I'm sure, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the IP
provenance issues to be comparable at Eclipse and Apache.

The Apache Foundation only accepts code that is *voluntarily*
contributed. That amounts to two tests:

a) is there clear provenance?
b) is there clear evidence of the voluntary contribution?

These two add up to, at least, a requirement that the author(s) of the
vast majority of the code be identified and participate.

This can make it challenging to bring a loosely-managed existing
codebase into Apache. It's not impossible, but, as Jason says, github
avoids this. Unless you are really hankering for the legal protections
offered by one of the Foundations, it's the simplest solution.