On 1/11/12 11:10 AM, Mike van Goor wrote:
On 11-1-2012 10:42, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
On 1/11/12 10:11 AM, Mike van Goor wrote:
On 11-1-2012 0:03, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
On 1/10/12 9:31 PM, Mike van Goor wrote:
Hi list,

Trying to figure something out here and I know it's my first post so
please bare with me.

Excuse me if my question sounds noobish, but I have been unable to
find anything relating to my question, so here goes.

I am currently writing a program that spontaniously creates multiple
sockets for outgoing as well as incoming connections. In the
implementation for NioProcessor I see the option to set a specific
ioProcessor. I would like my program to just use 1 ioProcessor at all
times.
Why would you do that ?

In this scenario do I have to create my own ioProcessor and feed that
to the creation of a NioSocket or does mina do this for me?
You can specify the number of IoProcessor to use, and set it to 1 if
needed. But again, why would you do that ?

Hi Emmanuel,

Firstly thanks for responding.
I am looking for a way to only use 1 selector in my setup.
The reason is that I would like as less threads as possible.
Ok. When you create your Connector/Acceptor, you just have to pass as a
parameter the number of IoProcessor you ant to use. Juts pass 1 :

SocketAcceptor acceptor = new NioSocketAcceptor( 1 );

Just curious : any reason to limit the number of threads to the minimum ?
Also which version of MINA/JVM/OS are you using ?

I am writing a home automation server in java and want it to run on single core 500Mhz system with very low processing power.
Ok. But keep in mind that a thread is not costing a lot of CPU, plus using one more thread in this case can improve the throughput, as it's likely that some threads will be sleeping waiting for events, while other may work.

Anyway, it's up to you :)

mina-core-2.0.4.jar
java version "1.6.0_21"
Debian linux atm.