But don't you need your own artifact anyway to include your custom
application bits?

IIRC (and I can't find the code right now), we explicitly *don't* allow for
system properties to be used for sling properties in a webapp case since
multiple webapps can be deployed into the same container.

In any case, servlet containers generally support some mechanism to
override the init parameters in the web.xml file via some external file.
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/context.html explains how to
do this in Tomcat.

Regards,
Justin