Ok that makes sense. It sounds like developing a new codebase *based on* the
launchpad might be my next step. I guess the launchpad is really an example,
and not intended to be deployed to production as provided from the war
download link here: https://sling.apache.org/downloads.cgi.

I guess downloading and copying the source for the software I want to use
and just using that as the basis for my own custom version of that software
just feels like a bad development practice. Like, how do I upgrade to future
versions of Sling? By respecting the Sling war as a deployable artifact, I
could just swap in future version in our provisioning scripts. I feel like
there are other examples of how that's awkward as well, but it's late and
I'm getting foggy hah.

If the war file provided as a release isn't intended to be more than an
example, copying and modifying the source is the way Sling is intended to be
used by the developers, then fair enough.

This sounds like valuable information for beginning developers that find
https://sling.apache.org. It's easy to get lost.