Update: Ok, I get it now. Thank you - this is really slick.

For posterity:

The "source code" for the "Sling Source Release" artifact at [1] is really
not the project source code. It's just some text files that neatly describe
which OSGI bundles and configurations (including run modes) you'd like
present in a new .war file which is then built using *actual* sling
artifacts from completely different projects.  This is called Sling
Provisioning, but shouldn't be confused with actual provisioning tools like
vagrant or something. I had expected to see actual source code when I
clicked that link and that felt wrong. Now I understand.

All you have to do is download the "source code," set your run mode in
boot.txt, modify the list of artifacts if you wish (in
groupid/artifactid/version format) and run maven clean install. And if you
come from an older Sling background like I do, where you can change run
modes willy-nilly with JVM arguments, I guess you just have to suck it up
and provision a new Sling instance. If you use a remote datastore (such as
oak_mongo) then you can do so without losing your JCR data as well.

[1] http://sling.apache.org/downloads.cgi