On May 22, 2008, at 1:23 PM, Dave Funk wrote:
Lots of users of this host have Windows PCs, and running SA on all outbound mail has both alerted them quickly to the problem and avoided nailing other people with spam and/or virus runs.

Genuine curiosity Jo, have you seen instances of viruses/trojans sending -authenticated- mail? Have they learned how to read users' passwords, etc?

We require our PC users to authenticate when sending and I had assumed that would stop viruses/trojans. Am I being naive?

Yes, you are. Most of the viri use the existing Outlook configuration, which includes the user's saved SMTP AUTH passwords.

Like I said, SA has saved our butt each time it happened. I wouldn't say that without it having happened multiple times...

--
Jo Rhett