On 02 Sep 2014, at 01:57 , Ted Mittelstaedt <t...@ipinc.net> wrote:
> On 8/31/2014 5:11 PM, LuKreme wrote:
>>
>> On 31 Aug 2014, at 08:08 , Ted Mittelstaedt<t...@ipinc.net>  wrote:
>>> Google does it.  It's not impossible.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> My experience is that the commercial providers like Gmail are now
>>> so aggressive that false positives are VERY common on their systems,
>>> this leads to people nowadays quite commonly saying "check your
>>> spam folder" on their websites and such that send feedback messages.
>>
>> These two statements do not go together.
>
> Only because your stubbornly sticking your head in the sand.
>
> Google has well over 90% catch rate on spam out of the box.

"Out of the box"? What does that even mean for Google? Do you mean that when
the introduced their gmail service they had 90% spam catch rate? I don't recall
that being the case at all.

> Google ALSO has a 1-2% False Positive rate out of the box.  Their catch
> rate is so high because they are willing to accept a high false positive rate.

That is one reason. The other reason, of course, is that they have literally
BILLIONS of mail messages to train from. In fact, Google has so much mail to
train from, that it is shocking to me they have any false positives at all.

The fact is, if 2% of my mail ends up in my spam folder then I have to spend a
lot more time in my spam folder than I want to, and enough time that it makes
my spam folder useless because not only do I have to scan it constantly, but I
have to then go jump through some sorts of hoops to train it to hopefully not
be spam in the future.

Spread that 2% error rate over a half dozen email addresses and I am back to
the bad old days of the late 90s when the majority of the time I spent in email
was spent dealing with the spam.

--
No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got
there first, and is waiting for it.