Reindl Harald wrote:
> schrieb Bob Proulx:
> > Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> >>
> >> While I can assume they would have this capability have you ever seen
> >> them actually do it?
> >
> > Like Herman Cain "I don't have facts to back this up." but believe it
> > to be true based upon other people's reports on the net.
> >
> > The capability seems plausible.  It would be easy and reasonable for
> > Google to implement.  For any large email provider such as Google,
> > Yahoo, others *not* to implement that feature seems implausible.  If
> > you could then why wouldn't you do it?
>
> because if i am smart i do not implement any feature which i do
> not use as i do not install any package i do not use
>
> why?
>
> because every feature and code lying around may and will
> sooner or later introduce side effects at updates or
> unexpected situations and makes it harder to maintain
> the codebase

If it were a bad feature I would agree.  If it were a feature that
frivolously did unrelated things then I would agree.  But it doesn't.
Is it a creeping feature?  No.  Is it core to the problem of
anti-spam?  Yes.  Is it useful?  Yes.  Bad effects?  No.

Being able to undeliver spam after it has been detected later and if
it is as yet unread is none of those bad things.  This is a positive
anti-spam feature in the core feature set of an email provider.

Therefore the simple argument of "more code bad" does not apply.
Otherwise everyone who starts a program by copying "Hello world." and
expanding it would be stopped immediately by the inability to add code
in order to have it provide more functionality.

Bob