>"Caldarale, Charles R" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> From: news [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Eric B.
>> Subject: Re: How to Deploy WAR using a sub-context path?
>>
>> Is it really with a # in the file name??
>
>Yup.
>
>> Is there anyway to instruct tomcat to rename the
>> META-INF/context.xml file to be demo#application.xml
>> instead of application.xml?
>
>The manager isn't actually part of Tomcat proper, but rather it's just
>an application that ships with Tomcat.  It's all open-source, so you're
>free to make it work as you wish.  Shouldn't be too hard to parse the
>optional "Context Path" field to handle slash delimiters.

Sure.  I realize that.  But after more fishing around in the auto deployer
of Tomcat, it seems that there are greater issues within Tomcat itself.  If
I rename the war to demo#application.war, with unpackWAR set to true, I get
the following error:

SEVERE: Exception fixing docBase: {0}
java.net.MalformedURLException: no !/ in spec
        at java.net.URL.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URL.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URL.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.fixDocBase(ContextConfig.java:889)

The application still tries to launch, but fails miserably:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base
/usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0/demo/webapps/demo/application does not
exist or is not a readable directory

If I turn off the unpackWAR setting, the first error goes away (as it is no
longer trying to unpack the war), but it still fails on the second error -
it is still looking for the war as demo/application.war instead of
demo#application.war.

>From a cursory inspection, it looks like the # naming convention wasn't
thoroughly tested out for these types of scenarios in Tomcat's autodeployer.
Either that, or I am missing something somewhere obvious.

Thanks,

Eric