Now Tomcat is also a cool pojo application server

Chuck... check me here ;)
I started wondering why I have never wanted to do this.
ie never wanted to deploy a web-app to a /Demo/WebAppName/ context and I realized its because I use the MVC model.

So what I would do is rename the WebApp to Demo... and just change the Servlet Mapping to

   <servlet-mapping>
       <servlet-name>start</servlet-name>
       <url-pattern>/WebAppName</url-pattern>
   </servlet-mapping>

Same URL results....

Becaue my JSP's are always called from a servlet... that works.

With static JSP pages... if one moved them to a folder /WebAppName

Is it not the same thing?... in other words all these deployment tricks can be thrown away... we back to a normal webapp.

In either case I think if the contexts have been hard coded, nothing will work, but if not, maybe its the same thing with no pain ;)

If we see it like this  /Demo/WebAppName/
We wanna play with contexts
But if we see it like this
/WebAppName/WhatEver
We wanna play with mapping and folders?

Maybe its just meant to be done another way... thats what I'm getting at.