> Probably not.  You specified a docBase of /dir/foo for the foo webapp,
> but appear to have been editing webapps/foo/WEB-INF/web.xml, which is
> not where you've told Tomcat the app is deployed.  It's extremely bad
> practice to have a directory under the <Host> appBase that's the same as
> one for an app with a docBase that points somewhere else.

Ahh - there we go.  I had tried putting the web.xml file there before
- but at the time, I had the incorrect <url-pattern> in my web.xml.

Thanks a lot.  I'll see if I can get access to
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Miscellaneous and update the answer
to this question - since the current answer is pretty poor.

It would be nice if someone could update
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/default-servlet.html
as well, because in general, having documentation basically say  "if
you don't know how to do this already, too bad" is just bad practice
;)

Thanks again,

Dan