On Dec 14, 2007 4:17 PM, Caldarale, Charles R
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > From: Dan Armbrust [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: Re: directory listings per webapp
> >
> > Thanks a lot.  I'll see if I can get access to
> > http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Miscellaneous and update the answer
> > to this question - since the current answer is pretty poor.
>
> In what way?  It describes exactly what must be done - it really is that
> simple.  You created your own problem by putting in a docBase attribute
> telling Tomcat where the webapp was locating and then editing a web.xml
> for an entirely different deployment.

Well, it does now :)

Previously - it said "This is done in TOMCAT_HOME/conf/web.xml by
changing the listings property for the default servlet."

Not exactly very useful in finding out how to do it on a per-app basis.

> > It would be nice if someone could update
> > http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/default-servlet.html
> > as well, because in general, having documentation basically say  "if
> > you don't know how to do this already, too bad" is just bad practice
> > ;)
>
> I think you misunderstand the meaning of "customize" and perhaps are
> confusing it with "configure".  The section on customization discusses
> only how directory listings are presented.

Its about the only other official doc reference that I came up with
after doing a search - so between that and the lacking FAQ, I was left
hunting the mailing list where about 50 people seem to have asked the
question, and most go away with only turning it on globally.

Thanks for your help.

Dan