> From: Leon Kolchinsky [mailto:lkolc...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Tomcat died on "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: requested
> 2147483664 bytes for Chunk::new. Out of swap space?" message
>
> Yesterday I've got this error in catalina.out and Tomcat died (I'm
> attaching hs_err_pid5460.log file):

This is not a Tomcat error - it's a bug in the JVM.  The C2 (server) compiler
is requesting an extremely large expansion of the C (not Java) heap.  You can
try increasing the swap space to see if that's a viable workaround, but you
really should do this:

> # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
> #   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp

The current JVM version is 6u20, so you might want to try running with that
before filing a bug report or expanding the swap file.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.