> From: Leon Kolchinsky [mailto:lkolc...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat died on "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: requested
> 2147483664 bytes for Chunk::new. Out of swap space?" message
>
> My understanding that the difference between "-client"
> and "-server" is in the number of code execution before
> compilation occurred.

No, that's one of the most trivial differences.  The client and server JITs are
two completely separate and mostly independent compiler implementations.

> Why is it "less fragile"?

Because the server JIT (commonly known as C2) is much more complex and includes
many more optimization mechanisms; consequently, there is some increased chance
of error.

Just for grins, I compared Tomcat startup times between server mode and -Xint
with a 64-bit JDK 6u20 running on a 2.0 Ghz dual-core AMD with 4 GB of RAM and
the following options:

-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -XX:MaxPermSize=128m
-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError

Using Tomcat 7 RC2 with full logging enabled, server mode startup took just
under 4 seconds, whereas -Xint required over 6.5 seconds - a rather significant
difference, especially since it was purely startup.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.