> From: Leon Kolchinsky [mailto:lkolc...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat died on "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: requested
> 2147483664 bytes for Chunk::new. Out of swap space?" message
>
> I've read this nice blog -
> http://www.talkingtree.com/blog/index.cfm/2006/4/28/Understanding-
> HotSpot-in-Plain-English

A somewhat naive bit of writing; rather outdated, and tad on the dangerous
side.  Rainer's suggestions and references are much more appropriate.

> I could use -Xint option to force "interpretedmode execution only"

You could, but your code execution would slow to a crawl.  Not an appropriate
thing to do in a production environment.  Don't forget that not only is your
webapp converted to native code by the JIT, but the thousands of methods in the
JRE and Tomcat itself are also processed.

The client mode (as suggested by Rainer, and almost completely ignored by the
above article) is a less aggressive compilation option, and is thus less
fragile than the server JIT.  That should suffice until the Oracle/Sun people
fix the server bug.  (You did file a bug report, didn't you?)

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.