Quoting Martin Geisler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > Note that I am not saying we are in that situation, in fact I don't
> > think so - but I am saying that it is important to find out ASAP!
>
> Agreed! I would be very happy to hear suggestions as to how we can
> measure things in VIFF and/or Twisted.

Well, it seems to me it makes sense to split the time spent in 3 classes
1) necessary local computing (such as arithmetic on shares, computing PRF's
etc.)
2) idle time, while waiting for messages from the others
3) anything else

and the most basic information we want is how large these three are relative to
each other.

I think there was earlier some version where arithmetic was done by calling some
external C code. From that I am guessing that it is feasible to make a version
where all or most of the stuff in 1) is done by calling specific functions we
can name and track rather than using the internal Python arithmetic, for
instance. In such a version, it should be possible to find out
how much time is spent on 1). If this gets much slower than the normal version,
we are in trouble and then I don't know what to do.
2) I suppose can be measured by hooking into the event loop of Twisted

Exercise: if you can measure 1) and 2), how do you measure 3)?  :-)

regards, Ivan