Dear Monica
How do we know about the guitar in re-entrant tuning in 16th c. Spain?
There is this one reference in Mudarra: '...a de tener bordon en la quarta'.
It may be the only information we have. That's a reason to be cautious with
interpretations.

Apparently we agree on the notion that the word 'bordon' can only be
understood from its context, since it was used in different meanings.
Mudarra tells the reader that the guitar needs a bordon on the fourth
[course]. You suppose that he spoke to people who tuned their guitars in
re-entrant tuning. How do we know about their existence? Because a certain
Alonso Mudarra told them to add a bordon to the fourth ... Wait a second!
What
was this about a 'bordon'?

Bermudo tells that the guitar has a high octave (requinto) on the 4th c.
The most likely explanation is that the high string is added: 'It is the
custom to place another string on the 4th course which they call requinta.'
>From this I read that he does not speak of a 'bordon', added to a high 4th
c. I understand your argument, but it doesn't entirely convince me. I think
the least we can say is that there is some ambiguity in his statement.

You seem to be very sure about the verbal introduction on Mudarra's Fol xxi.
There are many examples of texts in lute- or guitarbooks that are not fully
clear. To me it is not self-evident that M's introduction applies to all six
his guitar pieces. This actually doesn't say that I think that your
interpretation must necessarily be wrong. It's not without logic. I just
wanted to put forward the idea that the remark about the 'bordon' could also
have been made as a clarification with respect to the 'temple viejo' of this
first Fantasia. It would suppose another use of the word 'bordon', referring
to another, lower bass than the fourth in temple nuevo. One could imagine
that the open lower 4th course from the temple viejo may have had the
function of a fundamental bass (a 'bourdon'?) in 'romances viejos'. Am I out
of my mind? It's nice to speculate, it's springtime after all.

You suggest that the word 'bordon' can not be used in any other way than
'string which sounds an octave below' here. About the alternative
explanation of the terminology 'bordon' you say that 'the Spanish just
doesn't mean that'. Maybe Spanish speaking list members would like to
comment?

Lex