On 5/22/07, fREW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 5/22/07, Gene Kwiecinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I just updated to feisty on a samba server machine and a lot of the
> >vim defaults went crazy.  For example:  Pressing the Up or Down keys
> >in insert mode add new lines with just A or B on them, respectively.
>
> Sounds like it stopped recognising arrow keys' ANSI sequences ("<esc>[A"
> and "<esc>[B").  Wouldda thought the <esc> would break out of insert
> mode, but...
>

> >That I can live with, but check this out, if I have the following
> >sentence:
> >fREW is a silly guy
> >and my cursor is on the s, and I press cw, it changes to
> >fREW is a sill$ guy
> >and it works just like I had pressed cw and it replaces up the the $
> >or if I press escape it only has the new text I put in, but it's just
> >so weird!  Does anyone know where these new changes in Feisty come
>
> Uhh, sounds like what it's supposta do, no?  ??
>
> Is there a problem with actually changing the text, or just what's
> displayed?  Dunno the setting offhand, but a slow-redraw will mark to
> the end of the text to be replaced, eg, if you were to change to the end
> of the line, you'd still see the whole line, but with a '$' where the
> last character would be, vs erasing all the text and just leaving the
> insert-cursor in its place.  I find the latter disquieting, and would
> rather *see* what I'm replacing, but never really paid too much
> attention to which settings do what.  I'm complacent that way...  :D

I prefer that cw doesn't do this weird $ thing.  It bothers me.  I
might be ok with it if the word I was typing over were a different
color, but that is not the case.

Also: set nocompatible worked just fine, but I wanted to make this a
system wide setting.  I think that the problem has to do with vim not
sourcing the /etc/vim/vimrc.  It appears that that is why things
aren't working correctly.  Anyone know why it wouldn't source that
file?

-fREW

I figured it out and if anyone else has this problem I am sending out
the solution.  Basically when I run vi it is running vim.tiny.
vim.tiny sources /etc/vim/vimrc.tiny, not /etc/vim/vimrc, also,
vim.tiny is pretty crippled, in that it doesn't even have syntax
highlighting, so consider whether that's even what you want.

-fREW