On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 10:41:18AM -0600, fREW wrote:

> Well, nocompatible is recommended, and since this is a vim list, not
> just a vi list, I wouldn't think that it would be strange at all for
> people to expect vim (not vi) when they want vim.

That's why you have two commands: vi and vim.

Vim automatically switches to nocompatible if you have
~/.vimrc.

Vi does not even have to know what vimrc is.  Particularly,
vi can be aliased to some other vi clone, for example elvis.

If you run vi, you get something that can be used as vi.  If
you run vim, you get vim.

Yeti

--
http://gwyddion.net/