The Mini DIN8 was first seen on the Plus and persisted
through subsequent Macs until the iMacs and blue and
whtie G3s in 1998-1999. The ports were labeled as
printer and modem.

The only Macs with 9 pin serials for printer and modem
were the 128K, 512K, and 512Ke. The 512Ke was
discontinued in September 1987, so support for 9-pin
peripherals continued for a few years after the Plus
came out.

What the Plus DID have in terms of 9 pin serials was a
mouse port. It wasn't like the printer and modem ports
and is not interchangeable with those two. Keyboards
connected with the phone jack on the front of the
machine. The 512K, 128K, and 512Ke all had this port
as well. Note that the last Pluses were made in
October 1990 so the support for the mouse port
continued into the early 1990s. In addition, the 9 pin
serial connector was used to connect the mouse on the
Lisa and the Apple II series (execpt the IIGS),
although it was a card that was added on in all but
the IIc and IIc+. This port had widespread useage from
1983-1993. Note that a mouse that was designed for,
say, the IIe (some say Mouse IIe) will work on a Mac
Plus.

The SE and II introduced the ADB port, but only on the
Macs. Months before the SE and II came out in March
1987 the Apple IIGS had ADB (back in September 1986).
It also used the Mini DIN8s for serial. The cable here
is not an 8 pin, but rather a 5 pin. It looks like an
S-video cable and I read somewhere a long time ago
that S-video cables can be used for ADB if a long cord
is needed.

I've just started reading into this mouse discussion
with this post, but I'm assuming it's a Plus or
earlier mouse (sometimes called "Mac Plus mouse"). If
it does have an 8 pin serial and not the 5 pin that it
probably is should it have a DIN connector then it's
the first I've ever seen on a Mac that doesn't use a
standard input port.

Scott

<http://www.mail-archive.com/vintage.macs%40mail.maclaunch.com/>