On Wednesday, October 05, 2005, at 08:43AM, Jeff Walther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>However, it's sounding like you probably have leaky capacitors on
>your IIsi board.  The IIci is subject to this problem and the IIsi is
>nearly identical only with half the SIMM sockets and no NuBus slots.
>
>The surface mount electrolytic caps leak corrosive onto the board
>with age.  Several of them are involved with the power-on circuitry,
>so the machine fails to power on, either because it needs the caps
>functional, or because the corrosive has eaten through a trace,
>contact or solder joint on the logic board.
>
>This isn't that hard to repair with a bit of care, but it does
>require the motivation to fix it.

I've had this happen ion a IIci before, but instead of not turning on it
wouldn't turn off. The problem is caused by, as Jeff stated, the electrolytic
can-type Capacitors in the boards leaking. In the case of the IIci I found one
under the actual power supply had leaked. I wiped the board down with a bit of
dilute alcohol and a soft cloth to get the stuff off the board and it recovered
and hasn't given me any trouble since.

The problem is not so much that the electrolyte fluid is corrosive, although is
does cause oxidation long-term, the immediate problem when a cap first lets go
is the electrolyte is highly conductive, as you would expect from something
called 'electrolyte' ;o). This causes random shorts around the capacitor. In
the case of my IIci it was shorting something in the 'soft power' control that
was stopping the signal to turn off reaching the power supply. In your case it
may be shorting something to ground causing the power supply to overload and
not power on, the vast majority of switch-mode power supplies just cut out or
refuse to power on in the case of a short.

My advice is take a look at the logic board, especially around the sound and
power sections. Look out for any suspicious stains or small patches of what
looks like spilled soda on the board. if you find any clean them off with a bit
of dilute alcohol as best you can, let the board dry in open air, then try it
again.

1989-91 was a bad patch for this. The IIci, IIsi, LCII and SE/30 all suffer
from the same capacitor leakage problem, the SE/30 is the worst. I just sent 2
of my boards off to a friend who is better with an iron than me to have the
caps refitted with better ones. As Jeff says it's not too hard but it's tricky
and takes a lot of time.

--
Mark Benson

http://homepage.mac.com/markbenson