--- Tim Cowper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have an lc ii that I bought as a hobby computer.
> When I go to start it, all I get is the opening bars
> of the twilight zone and no video output at all.
> I've
> replaced the system battery and nothing has changed.
> It came with an 80 meg hard drive, floppy, keyboard,
> and mouse all of which power up and seem to work.
> Any
> ideas of what to check for next?

Is the monitor plugged into the onboard video or a PDS
card?

What monitor is it? The LCII onboard video requires
one that
supports sync-on-green, with specific pins connected
(sense pins)
that tell the Mac which single resolution the monitor
supports.

In the early years of Macintosh, all Mac monitors
displayed
at exactly 72 dots per inch. To do that, each size of
monitor was fixed to a single resolution so to get
more pixels,
you had to get a bigger monitor.

When NEC introduced MultiSynch monitors to the PC
world, Mac
videocard makers soon supported them. Apple went "meh"
and
stuck with fixed resolution monitors for a while
longer.

There is a cure for the older Macs. Several companies
made various
DB15 to HD15 adaptors with either a row of DIP
switches or a
rotary knob to "trick" the Mac into thinking a fix
resolution
with sense pins monitor was connected. Only the more
expensive
ones would make a monitor with seperate synch work
with the
Macs that require synch-on-green.

I think Griffin still makes the best of the monitor
adaptors.
It can connect almost any multisync monitor to any Mac
that
doesn't directly support them. Unfortunately Griffin
is very
proud of their gizmo and wants around $50 for one.

It will be total Fandemonium!
August (Fri) 4th, (Sat) 5th & (Sun) 6th, 2006
http://www.fandemonium.org