--- NODEraser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To my experience, the video adapters won't work at
> all with the older
> LC series. You need a genuine Apple RGB monitor.

Some of the older multi frequency monitors (NEC
MultiSync in
particular) with BNC and DB9* or HD15 connectors can
be switched
between seperate synch or synch on green, thus will
work on an
older Mac with a simple sense pin switching adaptor.
ISTR laying eyes on one with a seperate switch for Mac
mode.

The other solution is an adaptor that can "split" the
synch
signal from the green output to use a monitor with
seperate
synch line. I think there are ones other than the $$$
one
made by Griffin.
Then of course the monitor must support the Mac's
scan frequencies, which are slightly "off" from what
PCs use
at those resolutions. (Then there's the totally
"un-PC" 832x624
resolution.)

*Only 8 wires are needed for analog RGB monitors. Some
early
VGA monitors used a DB9 on the monitor with a 9 to
HD15 pin
cable for connecting to a PC's VGA card or a 9 to DB15
cable for Macintosh, or flip a switch and use a 9 to 9
cable for
connecting to a text only, Hercules, CGA or EGA TTL
type PC
videocard.

What is a bit difficult is finding one of those all in
one
monitors (with or without TTL video support) that has
a .28
dot pitch CRT. Lots of them were .3 or worse and have
horrible
picture quality.

I have an NEC MultiSynch with BNC connectors,
It's out in the storage building, in the freezing
cold, so I'm
not gonna run out and report back on what all other
connectors
and switches it has, or if it supports TTL. I do know
it's
one with at least a .28 dot pitch CRT, but in the
several times
I've searched, I never could find any info about the
model number.
I think I might have used it with my IIci with Turbo
601.
It was my bench monitor for a long time, but it
couldn't support
higher refresh rates, and it slews the picture
sideways with
different resolutions. (Handy-dandy horizontal
adjustment
knob right on the front!)

It will be total Fandemonium!
August (Fri) 4th, (Sat) 5th & (Sun) 6th, 2006
http://www.fandemonium.org