On 28 Dec 2005, at 07:19, Samual Acorn wrote:

the dead/grey pixel might be video memory problems... does it stay put
when you change resolutions? (if you can change resolutions that
is...) or connect the monitor to a different machine?

I've seen CRTs lose pixels before. It's very rare, but it isn't totally unknown, I think the phosphors burn out in one spot with age. May originally have been a manufacturing flaw. You can't change screen res. on a 12" RGB screen either they are fixed frequency 512x384 screens. They are pretty numerous and largely unwanted however so finding second hand units and the like shouldn't be overly hard. I have to say I have one and it's also got the focus disease. They are cheap and nasty units (at least by Apple standards), it's a miracle really they lasted this long! Mine fell out of service long ago in favour of bigger multi-sync CRTs.

if you rule out video memory problems it /might/ be possible to pick
it up and tap the back of the monitor against the desk (gently!) to
knock whatever is stuck against the phosphor loose...

Logic would drive me to ask what exactly could be stuck to the phosphor in a vacuum sealed tube? I suppose it's not outside the bounds of possibility that a flake of lead might have pinged off the tube and stuck there but no amount of banging on desks will shift that, it'll likely be welded to the phosphor by now. You also risk putting strain on the plastics that they are not designed to take, I know (properly like about 4 feet) dropping a heavy CRT on it's back is usually death to the plastic casing. I used to have a 17" Multiscan 720 display that had been dropped on it's back and the casing was a total mess. It eventually died from an internal short that got worse and worse.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>
68kMac.org:
<http://www.68kmac.org>

"Introducing Macintosh Classic II - pick one out on your way past the trash!"