Nicely done Dave! A skeptic has unwittingly provided positive evidence and
reproduced Jed's results in one fell swoop!

From: David Roberson [mailto:dlrober...@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 6:00 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: [Vo]:"Report on Mizuno's Adiabatic Calorimetry" revised

Guys, I believe that I have an explanation for the variation in measurements
performed by the latest critic and Jed.  I have long wondered about the physics
of that pump system so I felt like it was time to do a bit of math.  Unless I
made a major error in calculations, both results make complete sense.

The author of the negative report states that he is using pipe that is 1/2 the
diameter of the one used by Mizuno.  This is the key to the mystery.  Consider
the following derivation:

The pump is rated at 9 liters per minute when the net lifting head is zero.  A
calculation of the flow rate yields 150 grams/second.  i.e. 9 liters/min * 1000
cm^3/liter * 1min/60 seconds=150 cm^3/second.  And, 1 gram/cm^3  is understood.

The area of the 1 cm inside diameter pipe is pi * r ^2, which in this case is
3.14159 * (.5 cm)^2 = .7854 cm^2.  The velocity of the water inside the pipe is
150 cm^3/sec  / .7854 cm = 191.02 cm/second.

Kinetic energy of the water carries the power into the storage medium so it can
be calculated by the reliable formula E=1/2*M*V^2.  To get power, you use the
amount of water brought up to speed in 1 second.  So we have E=1/2 * 150 grams
* (191.02 cm/second)^2 = 2.738 x 10^6 gram-cm^2/sec^2  imparted upon the water
in each second.   These units are in ergs, so to get to joules you multiply it
by 10^-7 which yields .2738 joules in each second.  This is the definition of
.2738 watts.  Jed has measured numbers that fall into this range and has
confidence in his results.

Now our favorite skeptic claims that he is using .5 cm pipe instead of the 1 cm
pipe used by Mizuno and does not realize that he is making a major error.  But,
the area of that pipe is reduced by a factor of 4 since it is exactly 1/2 the
inner diameter of the original.  With a factor of 4 reduction in area comes an
increase in the velocity of the water flowing through it by that factor 4 in
order to achieve the same mass flow rate.   Every thing else being equal you
find that the energy imparted upon the water that is sped up from rest to a
velocity that is 4 times that from the first case yields the square of that
factor.  In which case it is 4^2 which is 16 times.

Guess what?  .2738 watts * 16 = 4.38 watts.  So, the skeptic has verified the
measurement performed by Jed!  I love it when the math holds up so well.

Congratulations Jed, you got it right.

Dave