Jack--

It looks like you had a pretty good reaction.

What was the input power?  What is the R value of the insulation on the outside
of the electric coils?  What was the nature of the electrical input--frequency
etc?  And what is the electrical heating element material?   If you have an
acetylene torch, see if you can melt a piece of the tube that melted.

The tube may have had glass fibers incorporated in order to improve strength.
You indicated it was 95% pure.  What was the other 5%?

What was you fuel mixture?  You may want to try a small fuel loading and see if
the same intense reaction happens--all else the same.

Try the test with a iron core instead of a fuel load and determine if there is
an apparent magnetic field which would hold the iron core in position when
direct current is applied to the heating coil.  An alternating current would of
course change the magnetic field and may make for null reaction conditions.

 Try 2 or 3 t/c's if you can--one inside and two outside to get a measure of
the temperature gradient along the tube.  Also another easy way to determine
temperatures is the use of thermal sticks on accessible surfaces.  Welders use
these to determine preheating temperatures.  They may provide a cheap
temperature measure for you.

Keep it shielded--good luck.

Bob