"Very sharp" -just means that the power is applied nearly instantaneously. Not any more power, just whatever equals E2 /R. However the temperature gradient would indeed be higher, so the wire would expand sooner than the matrix around. If the matrix temperature rises and falls a lot during a small part of a line cycle, stress might get pretty high. But isn't the wire a near-zero expansion/temperature material?

Ol' Bab -who was an engineer...