Do you have a reference on this?  Otherwise, a lead cave would not be
useful - it is there to protect the sensor from the cosmic rays.

My understanding is that the cosmic rays produce the neutrons by
spallation.  If the neutrons are absorbed in the lead, they will likely
cause isotopic shift which will lead to beta emission and then
characteristic x-rays for lead at 78 keV.  My plan is to follow the inside
of the lead with 1/4" of Fe which will absorb all of the 78 keV but will
produce the characteristic x-ray of Fe at 6 keV.  Then there is the boric
acid neutron absorber, and then the aluminum absorbs the 6  keV from the
Fe, but gives off 1.5 keV Al characteristic x-ray in small amount.