On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 10:34 PM, <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

Two Si atoms gives a Ni atom, not an Fe atom. However if the formation of
> Ni56
> involved enhanced/altered electron capture to Fe56:-
>
> Ni56 => Co56 (2 MeV; half life 6 days)
>
> Co56 => Fe56 (4.6 MeV; half life 77 days)
>
> ...and ALL the energy were carried away by the neutrinos, then there might
> be
> something to it, but I don't think it's very likely. (Enhanced/altered,
> because
> the normal decay process would kill all the workers with gamma radiation).

It's an interesting thought.  I walk back my earlier comment about the
amount of energy that would be released into the smelting facility a little
bit.  If we're contemplating unrealistic scenarios, it doesn't hurt to
consider the more interesting ones.

Eric