What I am proposing is that the force of repulsion below the pico scale
decreases with decreasing velocity. However, if fusion does occur at very
low velocities then the associated binding energy required to keep nuclei
together will be smaller resulting in a delicate nucleus. Given the history
of the universe most of the nuclear matter we encounter around us was
forged in stars so most of it will have very high binding energies. Also
delicate nuclei with very low binding energies would not be durable enough
to give rise the geological, mineralogical and biological diversity we see
today.

Harry