Considering that the other person banned has already been reinstated
after asking Bill directly and saying he won't do it again, and the
fact that Jed said,

 I did not
>>> realize that people there are uninterested in the politics of cold
>>> fusion.
>>> Since that is my main area of expertise, I do not have much else to
>>> contribute, so I don't see much point to rejoining, even if he lets me.

Is him saying, well hell, if you won't let me post politics, im just
not going to post.
That is dead on him saying, I am taking my ball and going home.  It is
him saying, well hell, if you expect me to actually follow the RULES,
I'm just not going to be here.

He was not expelled, he was sat down for a time out, and like a 5 year
old that refuses to sit in the corner for 5 minutes and think about
what he did, and say he won't do it again, remaining apart from this
list is HIS choice.

He then, at the end, pokes at Bill Beaty (thought I knew him...)
Becuase Bill did the unthinkable and actually applied the rules to him
same as everyone else.  The shock!  The Horror!