On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, John Berry wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 7:06 PM, William Beaty <bi...@eskimo.com> wrote:
>
> > Then I should ignore glass-enclosed plasmas which block the particles
>
> No, the electrons can pass through insulators, although an open air arc has
> some ideal qualities.

Electrons don't pass through glass-dielectric capacitors, nor easily
through the thin glass envelopes of oscilloscope tubes or Crookes "Maltese
cross" tubes.  Electrons *do* start passing through thin glass when
accelerated in hard vacuum, but that only starts happening with voltages
well over 50KV.

If you propose that electrons can pass through a glass fluorescent tube,
you need to explain the measurements that led you to decide it was
happening.  Otherwise assume that you've made a mistake (or perhaps it's
not electrons.)

> > The screen will pull negative particles out of the spark-plasma and
> > accelerate them out into the air.
>
> No, the screen is formed into a cylinder so the Faraday effect ensure it
> will have little effect.

A Faraday cage only works if the entire circuit is enclosed.  If you put a
metal cylinder around a fluorescent tube, but run wires out the ends, then
that is only a partial Faraday cage.  In that case you need to avoid
making assumptions about how it works.  Instead make measurements which
verify what's actually happening.  The Faraday shielding effect might be
zero in this circuit, but it's hard to tell without doing some tests.

> >  If not, then we're barking up the wrong tree, and Hiddink's effect
> > needs argon/mercury gas tubes.
>
> Nope, just based on reports from people with Gray tubes I can tell you that
> is confirmed.

Ah, that's a critical bit of info.

> > EM-waves emitted by fast-rise spark gap pulses are essentially the same
> > thing as UHF/microwave pulses.  They create HV effects, yet they bounce
> > off metals and go right through insulators.
>
> But do they charge insulated metal?
> Would they tend to charge metal with a single polarity, how about all metal
> with the same polarity?

Yes, they'd SEEM to charge metal if there are any ion clouds confusing the
measurements by being emitted at the same time as the GHz pulses.  And
also yes, if the metal has sharp edges which could support corona
discharge.

A huge EM pulse would form "gas diodes" upon all the sharp parts of nearby
metal, which emit charges into the air, which leave the metal
opposite-charged.  To test this possibility, see if the metal-charging
effect only occurs with pieces of sheet metal, but not with a polished
metal sphere lacking any sharp corona-producing parts.

Another effect occurs when a plasma tube emits strong UV.   This will
knock electrons off of exposed metal, giving it a positive charge.
It's a common demonstration performed in physics classrooms.  To avoid
this effect, just used painted metal.

Another effect occurs when a plasma tube emits x-rays, but that
possibility can be easily checked with an alpha-window geiger counter. If
x-rays are involved, a conductive path can be formed from ionized air, and
it connects between the plasma tube and nearby metals.  The atmosphere
becomes a resistor, and any nearby metals are charged because they're
partly connected to your HV power supply.

> > they'd kill electronics, and might produce those stinging sensations.
> > They'd go through walls but be stopped by metal foil.
>
> But Tesla didn't find them entirely stopped by metal.

Yes, that's the key to proving that it's not just GHz e-field pulses!

Enclose the entire experiment inside a box of copper foil or copper window
screen.  Power it with batteries inside the shield, with no wires
extending outside.  If the phenomenon doesn't vanish when such shielding
is added, then you've almost certainly got a real anomaly.

(That's assuming that the anomaly is small.  If instead it's large and
reliably produced, where anyone can build a "ray emitter" which kills
transistors at large distance, then you don't need much other evidence.)

> It would be a stretch to propose that microwaves are the cause of any and
> simply impossible to be the cause of most of the evidence.

Seeing a confident statement that something is impossible ...sets off my
alarm bells.  And I hope you're not suggesting, "that many hobbyist-
experimenters couldn't be wrong about this."

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-762-3818    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci