At 12:09 PM 2/7/2011, Rich Murray wrote:
I want to be wrong, but all doubts have to be candidly explored in
this very important scientific debate, in which Rossi at least could
share critical details with some independent  scientists of repute who
can be trusted with secrets.

There is no "scientific debate" yet. There is a staged demonstration, under the control of Rossi, with experimental details concealed, purporting to show substantial energy generation, enough that the only likely explanations, from the observers, become "fraud" and "Wow!"

Rossi clearly wants to pursue the path of secret development. That's his privilege. He's been otherwise advised, by people who should know, such as Rothwell.

Discussing this at this point, as if there were a serious scientific debate, is like discussing if a magician really can pull a rabbit out of a hat. Well, yes, he can. Or make it appear so.

Some people may want to debate if there might be a possible real effect involved, i.e., *any LENR.* From the whole cold fusion debacle, we should know that just because something seems theoretically impossible, experimental evidence can't be discarded on that basis. Rather, if reputable researchers report an effect, the norm is to accept that their report is honest, and then, if the implications are great, to look for -- and perform, if possible, according to the individual choices of researchers or research groups -- independent replications before jumping the shark over it.

There are a million ways that there could be "artifact," with any experiment. Without an experimental protocol to replicate, we can't even begin to assess them. Bottom line, Rich, simmer down.

Many of us have suggested how Rossi could open this up. He either is a fraud, or he doesn't trust anyone, and just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

Barring some unexpected event, we'll just have to wait, love don't come easy, it's a game of give and take.