If you want a natural emitter that would do a burst that would saturate a
small NaI detector, that's easy.  You would have to have access to something
like a Cs137 or Co60/Co57 source, or even something as common as Tc99m, but
any medical imaging facility or drilling outfit would have something.

The trouble is, each of those have very distinctive spectra that any
detector with identification capability would recognise immediately.  Most
of the strong sources (that wouldn't get you in trouble with the big guys at
DHS) have medical or industrial uses.  He could have just bought a LOT of
kitty litter or bananas (yes, a BIG LOT), and thrown a lead blanket over the
pile and removed it just before showing in the room!  Handheld detectors are
not designed to see really large sources at close range.

I bet if I ask the right people I can find out what it would take, based on
easily-acquired sources, to saturate a handheld NaI detector.

But if, instead of a burst, you get a collected spectrum, I can *tell* you
what it is, with very high confidence.  That is information, not data.  We
have lots of data, but very little information.  It is very frustrating that
someone with an ID-capable detector didn't collect something.

Debbie