At 08:08 AM 6/19/2011, Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:
On 11-06-19 05:34 AM, Akira Shirakawa wrote:
On 2011-06-18 16:07, Akira Shirakawa wrote:

Today Rossi posted on his Blog some interesting info:

When E-Cats work without a drive, Rossi has to operate alone on them for safety reasons.

This is such a facile explanation ... We mustn't unplug it from the wall because that would be dangerous.

It's facile, to be sure. But that doesn't mean it's false. And that's not actually what Rossi said. If you were operating an E-Cat the way it was operated in the demos, and unplugged it, the thing would cool off. The danger would arise if we heat it up to a certain point, at which the heat generated is enough to keep it that hot, so that it needs no input power. At this point, you have lost control of the reaction. It's dangerous!

How many reactions, which produce heat, and which may produce runaway heat, can be quenched by ... *heating them up* ?

The device is not quenched by heating it up. Stephen, please understand this, it's leading you to stick your foot in your mouth. Let me repeat this:

Nobody is claiming that the reaction is "quenched" by heating it up. Heating it up would not quench it, the opposite. Heating it up increases the reaction rate, within the range of interest.

That's the claim, as far as I can tell: He has to have a heater attached to it (which can, after all, only do what a heater does, which is heat it up) so that it can be heated up to prevent it from getting too hot, which would be dangerous.

No, that's not the claim. Please understand the claim! To be fair, I've never seen this explained by Rossi, but it's pretty obvious.

I would call that another big red flag.

There are big red flags, all right. This isn't one of them, in fact. The primary red flag is the secrecy, and we all know that there are some possible non-fraud explanations for this. Rossi's touchiness is a red flag, but he's human, which can also be enough of an explanation.

Guess what, folks! Unless some investigator really does come up with a smoking gun, we are stuck with waiting. I'm suspecting we will hear more NiH results from others before we know much more about Rossi's work.

If Rossi is (generally) telling the truth (allowing for the slips that people make when they are trying to conceal part of the truth, and other anomalies of conversation which show up when you go over it with a fine-tooth comb), something will happen, we will all know, before the end of the year.

The worry is that conditions entirely other than the non-existence of the effect he's exploiting could lead to failure with Defkalion. Just to make one up: it only happens one time out of a thousand, but these things unexpectedly blow up. We haven't figured out the exact conditions, we are working on it.