On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 12:42:10 Jay Caplan wrote [snip]I agree. Since several
devices have melted down before, it is obvious that it doesn't need elec
input to work, just reacting nearby the high temps of the resistance
element. Once heated uniformly to reaction temps and self sustaining, the
key would be to pull off the energy fast enough with heat transfer fluids to
keep temps below trouble levels, but in the best reaction range. When GE
gets hold of this and turns their process engineers on to it (after 15 yrs
of NRC delays) you may well see superb results.[/snip]

Jay, Nicely said - you beat me to it but additionally I would like to point
out that Rossi referred to this as a "NEW" ecat. I think he meant it was
fresh off the assembly line with a fresh charge of powder. This goes back to
a previous thread where we were discussing the level of activity sites from
the moment of formation and the "protection " of these sites from
overheating. It might even be necessary to keep the outer reactor surface
permanently wet to protect the most active geometry from simply degrading
down to a sustainable "dry" geometry by overheating and melting the smallest
portions of the cavities closed. Rossi doesn't want to see his devices
follow the performance woes associated with MAHG devices that would
initially appear to produce anomalous heat  but would  quickly  degrade down
to almost nothing.

I Agree with both you and Jones that an improved, faster and controllable
heat sinking methodology is key to a free running reactor but think this
will also require a new design where the entire reactor is designed as a
heat exchanger  and  where the powder only exists as a thin layer/alloy
sputtered or spin melted to the inner surface of the reactor wall (copper or
SS). I would expect any bulk powder not annealed to a heat sink to very
quickly reduce its active regions by overheating and  melting the Ni in
those regions where Casimir geometry is smallest the moment gas molecules
permeate the geometry.

Fran