At 02:19 PM 6/20/2011, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Another factor is that I have some unpublished information about this test, and about some other private tests. I do not have a huge amount of information, but enough to give me more confidence in the results. Stephen Lawrence does not have this information so naturally he is more skeptical than I am. That's reasonable.

I want to underscore this. It's pretty obvious, at this point, that skepticism about Rossi and the E-Cat is reasonable, no matter what Rossi says. Jed has additional information, and my experience with Jed is that he's likely sober about this.

But that's certainly not any kind of proof.

I'm rather turned off by the crap about Krivit and "fake reporter." Rather, they have reacted very strongly, it seems, to some transient personal impressions, in the Levi interview, and from the -- harmless to this observer -- preliminary report by Krivit. The video by Krivit, I just reviewed a little. I see no attempt by Krivit there to be hard-nosed about what he was being shown. Knowing Krivit, in fact, I'm a little disappointed!

"Ah, Mr. Rossi! So there is water in the hose, even if only a little, as you say. How much? Can we watch this thing for while, then, this time, you empty the hose into a bucket so we can see how much water accumulated in so many minutes. Can we have the hose empty into the bucket for a while? I know that people are interested in this question of water in the outlet hose, that is "how much" is "only a little"?

"Let's see, may I mark the input water jug while we watch this thing for a time? Or measure the water level distance from the ground? Then we can pour in a measured amount of water to restore that original level, to see how much water was pumped through the system, as a visible confirmation in my video."

"Are there variations in the input power, or does this thing operate at constant input power? Mind if I take an occasional picture of that meter?"

Asking to see steam at the vent would have been too much for this set-up, I can easily see Rossi refusing it. But a close-up of the hose held at right angles to the camera, very close, so that the margin can be seen clearly, should have been possible. The point would have been to have the hose held firmly without it moving....

Jed has nailed the basic problem here, that Rossi was just doing a presentation for an ordinary reporter, who frequently won't ask very technical questions. I can understand why Rossi would come to think that Krivit wasn't a "real reporter," because Krivit, in a sense, knew too much. But I'd think Mats Lewan would also ask questions like this....

In the Essen report we just saw here, Essen looked at the steam valve. My sense is that he saw it to be dry steam, or he'd have made a great fuss! At that point, there should be no flow out the hose at all, it should really be shut off with a valve, or it introduces a possible error.