Jouni Valkonen <jounivalko...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thermometer must be calibrated in respect of boiling point of water (or
> other known temperature that is relevant for what is measured) before it can
> be used for accurate measurements. Without calibration, it's accuracy is
> just ±0.4°C. But thermometer reproducibility is ±0.05°C and this means that
> thermometer gives same reading with this accuracy in two consecutive
> measurements.

Yes. Right. That's what I was trying to say, but you explained it better.

> As Mats Lewan calibrated the thermometer that boiling point was 99.6°C,
> altough real boiling point in Bologna in that particular day was 99.9°C.
> This is what it meas that thermometer accuracy is ±0.4. But relative
> accuracy or precision or reproducibility is always higher in thermometer
> than the resolution of display. In this case digits are by one decimal,
> hence ±0.05°C accuracy.

Right.  There is a small screw on the HH12B at the bottom marked "OFFSET."
As I said, it adjusts to within a fraction of 1 degree. If Lewan had this
thermometer he might have moved the temperature up to 99.9 deg C and then --
as you say -- it would go back to this in consecutive readings. It would be
accurate to within a wide range of temperatures around 100 deg C.

Precision is better than accuracy with thermocouples. That is to say, even
if it is 0.4 deg C away from the real temperature (because you do not bother
to calibrate) it can still measure a temperature difference of 0.1 deg C
with confidence.