At 09:34 PM 8/10/2011, Jouni Valkonen wrote:

Galantini stated a fact from manual: «4- The thermometers have a margin of error of +/- 0,05 Celsius»

Lomax replied with speculation: «This depends on the probe. However, from other data (such as probe rated temperature of 150 C.) the probe has an accuracy of +/- 0.4 C. He's greatly overstated the accuracy, it seems, and that is crucial here. The *resolution* is 0.1 C., and I think he munges that into +/- 0.05.»

Thermometer must be calibrated in respect of boiling point of water (or other known temperature that is relevant for what is measured) before it can be used for accurate measurements. Without calibration, it's accuracy is just ±0.4°C. But thermometer reproducibility is ±0.05°C and this means that thermometer gives same reading with this accuracy in two consecutive measurements.

No, the resolution is 0.1 degree.

As Mats Lewan calibrated the thermometer that boiling point was 99.6°C, altough real boiling point in Bologna in that particular day was 99.9°C. This is what it meas that thermometer accuracy is ±0.4. But relative accuracy or precision or reproducibility is always higher in thermometer than the resolution of display. In this case digits are by one decimal, hence ±0.05°C accuracy.

This assumes that if one sees, say, 100.1 C., that the real temperature is between 100.05 and 100.15. However, the calibration, even if done with a perfect temperature standard, would only be good to that range. The maximum error in the actual measurement, then, will be +/- 0.1 degree, plus a little, so that it *might* be off by another digit under some circumstances. I.e, suppose the calibration reads 100.0, but the internals of the meter is saying 100.0499. So we then have a systematic error of -0.0499 degree. Then we go to measure a temperature of 100.0998 degrees. The meter will "read" 100.0499, rounding down to 100.0. An error of almost 0.1 degree.

With fancy calibration you might be able to improve this. You'd adjust to the center between flips of a digit.

I have said this before, but it seems that you are not familiar with this calibration issue.

Actually, I wrote extensively about it.

But it was from Galantine vulgar mistake to think that reproducibility or resolution (±0.05) is the same thing as absolute accuracy without calibration (±0.4).

But, no other negative comments on your Galantini critique. It was quite accurate up to precision of ±0.05.

Why, thanks. However, the resoluton is 0.1 C. He made up the 0.05. The manufacturer says 0.1, and that's how these things work. It's a displayed resolution, it's not really a +/- thing.