>Still, as far as anyone knows, cold fusion never generates dangerous
radiation. So it is a little silly to apply the safety standards of fission
or plasma fusion to it. This is like saying that hydrogen airships can
explode, so we should take extreme precautions when working with helium
balloons.

No matter of what his going on inside the reactor.
Rossi made spectacular claims. He said that he generate heat by gamma
emission.
If you go to the NRC asking for an autohrization for a test with potential
gamma emission, nobody release you authorization without installing some
precautions, and "Nuclear Warning" panels.
Here, in Italy too.