David Roberson wrote:

That is what I would hope will happen some day. Does anyone know whether or not Rossi or Defkalion are designing their devices to standards required for the refit?

How else would they do it?

My main question is related to the knowledge required for the installation and the local rules. Here, Home Depot does not sell heat pumps because they say you must have a license in order to install it.

Yes, they do sell heat pumps. They sell lots of equipment that requires a license to install, such as electric wiring and plumbing. I believe what you mean is they do not let just anyone purchase a heat pump and drive off with it. That may be true.