Eric,

The plasmon conduction electrons in nanowires can be very "heavy" - i.e.,
they possess a huge "effective mass" when they impact a particle in the
direction of the current flow (- but not in orthogonal directions.)
Similar to a light metal plate that penetrates a strong barrier because it
is mechanically coupled to a battering ram.

I surmise that electron "effective mass" is only converted to real
relativistic mass as it climbs a potential barrier impeding its flow. As
it ascends, "E=mc^2" converts the exchange photons inductively coupling it
to neighboring conduction electrons into a cloud of its own photon
"dressing" possessing real, relativistic, omni-directional mass.
(Maybe this happens when it tries to climb a proton's effective
electroweak barrier when pressed forward by a constant Lorenz force.)

So, I expect that, if the conduction current on a nanowire surface is high
enough (and quasi-ballistic), gammas originating in the bulk of the wire
will be attenuated and scattered consistent with current flow.

This might be testable by including radioactive isotopes in wire's bulk.

If the gamma energy and directions were not altered, my guess is wrong.

In case you are interested in how magnetic fields can act as reservoirs
for delocalized momentum, you might want to read -
"Thoughts on the magnetic vector potential" Am.J.Phys. Nov-1996
http://www.uccs.edu/~jmarsh2/links/AJP-64-11-1361.pdf

Lou Pagnucco