re 'Yeomen'   -- Eric and James

2nd take

Yeomen, as
I understand the term, are a group of people having enough material and
educational resources to be 'free thinkers'.

The
question is:
Are these
people decisive wrt the advancement of humanity?

I think
not.
They play a
certain role, but not more.

In the
early middle ages it was the church-builders, which advanced the art of
empirical construction of large buildings by trial and error. Lots of churches
had to be repaired or collapsed altogether.
Those
'geniuses' are not known by name but their deeds and their various inventions
like the rope-triangle with three knots, one of the most impressive inventions
ever in the construction of gothic churches.
Plus the
proper identification of construction materials.
Those were
definitely not 'Yeomen'.
The
creative drives of the churchbuilders were directed by
-- the
dominant belief
-- a drive
by the dominant religious elite to fortify  power, by summoning all the
creative forces of
their time in their interest.
Simple.
Right? Machiavellian strategy, which creative people seem to easily fall prey
to.

The main
driver was societal surplus, which enabled the inventive minds to do their
work.
This goes
back to Stonehenge.  Unknown geniuses.

The ‘Yeomen’  played their limited role in early
modernism, but not a dominant one.

It is just
that they had a certain amount of leisure, which other classes (sorry) did not
have.

Two
examples to the contrary of the 'Yeomen' view:
a)
Paracelsus: The founder of modern medicine, was mainly self-educated, and his
main trait was a fierce empiricism combined with a humanist impulse: to
effectively heal.

b)
Leonardo: Apart from his genius, one has to mention,  that his mother was a
slave, married to an
establishment figure, a notary.
Leonardo
prostituted himself to the elite, by devising various advanced weapon-devices.

The leisure
class, as Thorstein Veblen termed it, actually advanced the fashion of being
empirical, and enjoyed the downfall of the noble class, which had nothing
substantial to object on this in the 17th/18th century, which culminated in the
enlightenment. The noble classes participated in this downfall, by some
defaetist insight, that they lost the game, and another one would be
established soon: Approx 1780 to 1830.
In this
timespan the middle nobility aligned with the ascending bourgeois in advancing
science and empiricism, the middle nobility gradually accepting defeat.

Lavoisier
being one prominent example, as said.
...Lavoisier
was tried, convicted, and guillotined on 8 May 1794 in Paris, at the age of 50.
… (by indictment of Robespierre).
Dangerous
times.

Read Yourself
about the background.

Sorry to
depart from the main thrust of the list by narrating that.

But there
are some connections, which I consider important, and should not be
misinterpreted.

To consider
LENR as a straightforward cure to all our illnesses seems to me fundamentally
misdirected.

My practical
other ID explores the issue, but is hopefully controlled by my other ID, say
Kahneman’s  ‘slow thinking’.

Guenther