At 04:17 AM 5/26/2012, Jojo Jaro wrote:
There appears to be some interest in this subject, so I will continue discussing it as long as people want to discuss it by responding. Apoligies to Bill in advance if this is inappropriate.

What was clearly inappropriate was such a thorough hijacking of the thread.

First, let me make something very clear. My goal in brining up this discussion is to try to draw a parallel between what is happening with Hot Fusion and Darwinian Evolution Theory. Maybe, we can begin to understand the hostility towards Cold Fusion and as part of the Scientific Community, begin to rectify it.

In Hot Fusion, the science appears to be "Established". There are decades of work associated with it. There appears to be some "established" theories. Hence, when people like Parks, Huzienga and others dismiss Cold Fusion out of hand, they are simply appealing to the "Triumph" of the prevailing theories. In their minds, these theories are well founded and well established.

They are, in their territory. The problem was in extending them beyond what was known, and assuming that such extensions were *part of the known theory.* In fact, there were plenty of scientists in 1989-1990 who knew that existing theory did not rule out cold fusion and, in fact, one example of catalyzed cold fusion was known, muon-catalyzed fusion. So why could there not be another? The 1989 DoE review explicitly recognized that the "impossiblity" argument was weak and impossible, itself, to prove. Rather, in 1989, what could be said -- and this was at least somewhat reasonable then -- was that it had not been "conclusively demonstrated" that LENR was real.

In the minds of those to whom LENR was a threat, either to their comfort level with the depth of their understanding of what was possible in physics, or more directly to funding for hot fusion projects, this was translated into "bogus." Kind of a leap, eh? And then the color of "bogus" was smeared over all reports considered similar, thus completely bypassing the normal process of scientific inquiry. It was a socio-political phenomenon, and has been covered well by Simon (2002, Undead Science).

In Darwinism or Neo-Darwinism thought, once again, there "appears" to be some "established" theories (Albeit a theory you can drive a Mack Truck thru.).

Straw man argument, Jojo.

In the same vein, people like Jed who dismiss Intelligent Design and Creationism as "quack" science, are just as quick to point out the Darwinian Evolution is "fact" just as Parks would point out that Hot Fusion is "fact" to the exclusion of anything else. You see, the point that I am making is that without realizing it, Jed has the same close-minded tendencies as Parks do.

The straw man is "Darwinian Evolution." What's that? By name, it is referred to a person and to ideas expressed in the 19th century.

Why doesn't Jed study the principles of Irreducible Complexity, or Specified Complexity, or Biological Chirality, or Abiogenesis, or Improbabality or DNA Information, or Cell complexity, or the Bacterial Flagellum etc. These are legitimate fields of science where there are published papers.

Because he's not interested, my guess. Why should he be?

For me, I'll ask "what is the *experimental evidence"? The stories we tell about our experience are not evidence. Theories, *all of them* are stories. They are useful to the extent that they empower us to predict the consequences of actions.

But there is another realm of theory, theory that "explains" the past. That can be useful as a mnemonic device, that's about it. Such theories can collapse very complex sets of data into something simple for memory to grasp, and this is useful, as well, as a possible way to predict new discovery about the past, and perhaps, sometimes, to predict the results of controlled experiment; but controlled experiment in the field you are addressing, Jaro, is not so easy to come by.

What happens with this kind of theory is that people line up based on whether they like the implications of the theory or don't. People who take the concept of divine creation as if it were some kind of scientific principle, in contradiction with some sort of mechanistic concept of evolution that they imagine -- or know -- that others hold, are offended by theories of evolution. But, in fact, they made up the contradiction. And, I'll assert, it has nothing to do with real faith. It's more along the lines of imagining a splinter in the eyes of others, while ignoring the beam in one's own.

And "scientists" who use theories of evolution as if they were some sort of refutation of creation stories are simply doing the same thing on the other side, making up a story of contradiction. That has nothing to do with science.

I suspect that if I meet Jed in person, and hand him a math paper by Stephen Myers on Specified Complexity and Improbability, he would let that paper drop to the ground without looking at it.

Well, I doubt he would be that rude. I certainly would not, and I'd probably read any paper that anyone took the trouble to hand me. I might even read it carefully, if it were comprehensible and at all interesting. Jed would, almost certainly, look at it, if he accepted it. If you dropped it on the floor, *you dropped it on the floor,* not he.

Why, because just like Parks, he believes in his pet theory so much, so convinced by its correctness, that he is willing to be "unscientific" and "close minded" about Intelligent Design, while in the same breath accuse Parks of being close minded to Cold Fusion.

Just be aware, Jojo, that you are describing yourself, better and more accurately than you are describing Jed, whom you do not really know.

Folks, there is a parallel here. We all have our pet "Hot Fusion" theories that we can not and will not deviate from. For Parks, its Hot Fusion, for Jed, its Darwinian Evolution, for me, its Intelligent Design and Creationsim. We are all pretty guilty of close-mindedness and unscientific behavior. Except that, I realize my close-mindedness, Parks do not, and Jed does not seem to.

Do you *actually realize* the depth of your own "close-mindedness"? Do you realize how difficult this can be? It's quite possible to transiently recognize it, but to routinely ignore it. But then, of course, you can clothe yourself with the mantle of "self-realization" while not actually maintaining self-realization, based on those transient recognitions. It appears to take real training to truly move beyond this kind of limitation.

And finding that kind of training is not necessarily easy, and one has to want it.

Now, to respond to Harry's points:

Yes, it is normal for a theory to have holes and shortcomings, while the basic idea is still "useful". I think Quantum Mechanics falls in that category. But the issue with Darwinian Evolution theory is that there is a "hole" the size of an aircraft carrier at the center of the theory. There is a enormous improbability problem at the heart of Darwinian and NeoDarwinian theory. Huxley, a staunch Darwinian Evolutionists, who made many assumptions favorable to Darwinian Evolution theory, still end up calculating that the odds for the Darwinian Evolution of a Horse at 10^300,000. (That's a number with 300,000 zeroes.) Just to put this is perspective, anything with odds of less than 10^50 is considered in Statistics to be an "Impossible" event. There are only 10^98 atoms in our known Universe. (If I remember correctly.) Even if the universe was a Billion Billion Billion Billion Billio Billion Billion times older than it's currently acceptable "Big Bang" age, that would still not leave enough time to evolve a horse based on the Gradual Natural Selection premise of Darwinian Evolution Theory.

Folks, Darwinian Evolution Theory is DEAD. Science and math killed it. Let us mourn Darwinian Evolution Theory just as we mourn the death of Hot Fusion theory.

Great, Jojo, you have revealed, here, a great deal about yourself. What you present as a "hole the size of an aircraft carrier" at the "center" of "the theory" is

(1) Much larger than an aircraft carrier, as you point out. It's larger than the universe. (2) Based on a naive assumption about the nature of evolution, which is that it is driven by random combination alone. (3) And is further based on a common error, that of assuming that an experimental result cannot be unfathomably rare.

The second is the most interesting, but let's deal with the last one first. Suppose I run a random process that chooses 1 out of 10 possibilities, equally distributed as likely. And let's say that I run this process 300,000 times. That's actually fairly easy to do. I get a result. I look at the result, the generated sequence of numbers, and calculate the odds of my getting this result by chance: it is 1 chance in 10^300,000. Therefore the process could not have been random?

This example might seem a bit unfair, because all combinations are considered equally "acceptable." Not all genetic combinations would have been observable, but every result that we observe as a living thing, is acceptable. The observable result is equivalent to the random result in our little thought experiment.

Okay, the second objection. Evolution is driven by, as we normally understand it, anyway, mostly random process in generating changes to the genome. Most of these random changes have no effect, they are to inactive regions of the genome, and the age of some genetic sequence is routinely estimated by using a reasonable mutation rate and observing the accumulation of changes in that sequence, across a population; as well, the history of populations that were once unified and that have been separated can be estimated. Do you understand, Jojo, that this is a routine use mutation rates, that such "evolution" does occur? (And this can be demonstrated in the laboratory with rapidly multiplying organisms.)

This is evolution simply on the level of change in the genome. It happens.

Of course, if we are talking about the evolution of some specific complex feature, we are not looking at the "garbage DNA." We are looking at active sections of DNA, that produce cell protein activity, more than mere copying of the genome, and complex biology. What can be produced by random mutation in such sections? What is the limit?

It is rather obvious that small changes can result, but the issue raised here is the development of a complex structure that allegedly doesn't have intermediate useful states. It's alleged to be impossible, by creationists, there *must* be a driving from a "creative" impulse of some kind.

And, of course, there is such a driving, it's obvious. It is manifest in the selection process. A change that is not useful and that is actually a weight against survival will be selected against. We know that such changes do occur, they manifest as "genetic diseases," but most such changes probably don't even result in a viable organism. Only a few are compatible with survival at all, a baby won't make it to term. (There is a point in human development where the mother's body is looking for a biochemical signal from the baby. If that signal is absent, the embryo will be naturally aborted.)

The argument for impossibility of the development of complex structures from random evolution depends upon a conception that

1. There could be no useful intermediates.
2. There could be no rapid combination of mutations to bypass some alleged "obstacle."

That is, a useless structure, taking energy to construct and maintain, will not long survive, but it might survive long enough, through enough generations, to generate the next step, something actually useful.

This is a type of impossibility argument, based on invention and assumed knowledge limiting a vast universe of possibilities into something narrow and presumed to be understood.

In this, indeed, there is a resemblance to the rejection of cold fusion. There is a failure of imagination.

Many physicists (certainly not all!) in 1989-1990 rejected cold fusion because they imagined it was a process that they believed they knew and understood. What they were rejecting was that what they knew and understood -- or believed that they understood -- could possibly be happening at low temperatures. This is crystal clear in the writing of Huizenga, when he reported, in the second edition of his book, Cold Fusion, Scientific Fiasco of the Century, on the results from Miles. Huizenga recognized the importance of Miles' work, and he said that, if confirmed, it would solve one of the major mysteries of cold fusion, the ash. We have to remember that when Miles published, the ash wasn't known. Only a very few, including Preparata, had considered helium a possibility, so rare was helium as a result from normal deuterium fusion. Miles' work, on the fact, provided significant evidence that the ash was helium, probably entirely.

Huizenga then went on to expect that Miles would not be confirmed, and his reason was that no gammas were being observed. And that betrays, quite clearly, how he was thinking. He was *assuming* that if cold fusion was real, and if helium was the ash, the reaction must be d+d -> He-4, which requires, he believed, a gamma. However, "the conditions of cold fusion are not the conditions of hot fusion." What was known was the behavior of deuterium under plasma conditions, the conditions of hot fusion.

Deuterium will fuse at room temperature, in theory, but the calculated rate is on the order of 10^-100, as I recall. Unobservable. Utterly improbable.

But it is plasma reactions that are purely random. Condensed matter can channel particles, and, in fact, by the early 1990s, Takahashi had observed a shift in multibody fusion reaction rates due to the condensed matter environment, bombarding PdD with deuterons, of 10^23 over naive random collision expectation. A step.

The largest error of the physics community was in rejecting experimental evidence on the grounds of alleged impossibility. "Lack of a plausible theory." Nature doesn't care if we have a theory or not, apparently. She behaves as she behaves, regardless of what we think. Unless we are doing experiments on thinking!

Here, "evolution" is being rejected based on an assumption that observed mutations are random. They are obviously not random, that is, the *process* of mutation might be hit-or-miss, but biological process rapidly selects against and eliminates *effective* mutations that cause actual harm, only allowing the immediate survival of mutations that are, at least, mostly harmless. The idea that a complex structure cannot form this way is simply an assumption, it's not based on experiment.

Consider the monkey typewriting thought experiment. If the monkey output is processed through a word processor that eliminates non-words and ungrammatical constructions, quickly eliminating them, so that only intelligible sentences result, the probability of getting some snippets of Shakespeare, over a billion years of typing, rises greatly.

It's certainly possible to do deeper analysis of the random process problem, but to treat this as a "death" blow to evolutionary theory simply reveals the bias of the writer.

No theory is true or false, that's a basic part of the ontology I'm working with routinely. Rather, theories are useful or not useful. Natural selection is obviously a useful concept, and it's observed to be working.

It's certainly possible to imagine that natural selection is being driven by a goal, or some ultimate "meaning" or "purpose" to life, but that is not particularly a testable hypothesis, given realistic limitations on what kinds of research are presently possible.

Nevertheless, if it floats your boat, that's fine by me. I tend to think this way as well, that this is all meaningful in some way. I just find that when I fix on some particular meaning, it tends to limit me, to confine my thinking, to prevent me from being open to what is possibly beyond that imagination.

I'll caution, though, that when our concepts of reality lead us to define others as being wrong, they are, almost by definition, limiting us.

So, Jojo, what's important to you?