This link provides a nice concise summary of evolutionary thought from
the Greeks to the victorian age.
http://library.thinkquest.org/C004367/eh1.shtml
Darwin's account of evolution is over emphasized, but that doesn't
mean it is worthless. Although the link says Lamarckian evolution has
been discredited, there is some truth in Lamarck's account as work on
epigenetics is revealing. Anyway, I think evolution is driven by many
causes and Darwinian natural selection is just one of the causes.

Harry