*…you will see that spark length is heavily dependent on the gas
composition and pressure.  Higher pressure means shorter spark at same
voltage, you won't get a 12mm spark in high pressure H2*

This is a good observation. The situation gets more complicated when dust
is suspended in the gas. The dust will also slow down and deenergize the
electrons as the electrons collide with the gas and the dust.

Such collisions reduce the electron's energy making it more difficult for
these electrons to ionize a molecule. Energy losses from a greater number
of collisions require larger voltages for the electrons to accumulate
sufficient energy to ionize all of the hydrogen atoms required to produce a
plasma channel caused by an avalanche breakdown.

Ions streaming past a dust particle exert a force on the dust by scattering
of the ions in the electric field of the dust or by collection on the dust
surface. In plasma discharge there always is a persistent ion stream either
due to ambipolar diffusion in the plasma bulk or due to the electric fields
in the plasma sheath. This ion drag force is one of the major forces on
dust particles.

It is understood qualitatively, but a complete quantitative description is
still missing due to the complexity of the involved processes.

The ions which arrive at the particle not only contribute to ion charging
of the dust, but also transfer their momentum to the dust and thus exert
the collection force on the dust.

The bottom line: You can’t have enough voltage.

Cheers:   Axil
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Robert Lynn <robert.gulliver.l...@gmail.com